Books: "Jungle Capitalists: A Story of Globalisation, Greed and Revolution" by Peter Chapman

,

It seems this book gives an in-depth account of United Fruit Company's interventionalist history in Central America's banana republics from the 19th to the 20th centuries. Given that I mentioned the Banana Trade Wars between the EU and the US recently in my blog, I thought I would mention the book on my blog. I have not read it yet.



In the university, my professor did once give me a copy of the book The Sovereign State of ITT, an older look (published in the 1970s) at the growing influence of multinationals and weakening sovereignty of traditional states. The book examined ITT's ventures in Chile, including its hand in the assassination of Allende.


In related multinational, foreign intervention news, Shell finally settled its case in "reconciliation" of complicity in the deaths of several Nigerian union leaders and campaigners by Shell-backed military rulers in the mid-1990s. In high school, my friends formed our school's first Amnesty International Chapter largely due to our infuriation over this event. It was one of our main causes.

0 Responses on "Books: "Jungle Capitalists: A Story of Globalisation, Greed and Revolution" by Peter Chapman"